Brookfield is a global alternative asset manager with $240 billion in assets under management. We have over a 100-year history of owning and operating assets with a focus on property, renewable power, infrastructure and private equity.
On behalf of our clients and shareholders, we own and manage one of the largest portfolios of premier office properties and renewable energy generating facilities as well as long-life infrastructure assets that include utilities, transport and energy and timberlands in North and South America, Australasia and Europe.
We invest our own capital alongside our clients and partners in these high quality assets, ensuring our interests are aligned. Our assets are held through a growing portfolio of private funds and public, listed entities. We are proud of our track record for achieving strong risk-adjusted returns for our clients, partners and shareholders across all market conditions.
Brookfield is publicly listed on the NYSE, TSX and Euronext Amsterdam under the symbol BAM, BAM.A and BAMA, respectively.
Brookfield is a global alternative asset manager with over $225 billion in assets under management. We have over a 100-year history of owning and operating assets with a focus on property, renewable energy, infrastructure and private equity. Our business model is simple: utilize our global reach to identify and acquire high quality real assets at favourable valuations, finance them on a long-term, low-risk basis, and enhance the cash flows and values of these assets through our leading operating platforms to earn reliable, attractive long-term total returns for the benefit of our partners and ourselves. We have a range of public and private investment products and services, which leverage our expertise and experience and provide us with a distinct competitive advantage in the markets where we operate.
Our strategic operating and investment initiatives include:
• Building and maintaining “best-in-class” operating platforms in real assets that form critical backbone of economic activity;
• Expanding funds under management and foster strong client relationships to provide growth capital and enhance cash flows with asset management fees;
• Actively managing our capital by maintaining high level of financial liquidity, execution capability and operational flexibility to capitalize on growth opportunities; and
• Organically grow our operations through both acquisitions and development activity, as well as operational improvements.
We create value for shareholders in the following ways:
• As an owner-operator, we aim to increase the value of the assets within our platforms and the cash flows they produce through our operating expertise, development capabilities and effective financing;
• As an investor and capital allocator, we strive to invest at attractive valuations, particularly in distress situations that create opportunities for superior valuation gains and cash flow returns, or by monetizing assets at appropriate times to realize value; and
• As an asset manager, by performing the foregoing activities not just with our own capital, but also with that of our clients. This enables us to increase the scale of our operations, which differentiates us from others, and enhances our financial returns through base management fees and performance-based income.
• Invest where we possess competitive advantages.
• Acquire assets on a value basis with a goal of maximizing return on capital.
• Build sustainable cash flows to provide certainty, reduce risk and lower the cost of capital.
• Recognize that superior returns often require contrarian thinking.
Measurement of Our Corporate Success
• Measure success over the long term by total return on capital.
• Seek profitability rather than growth, because size does not necessarily add value.
• Encourage calculated risks, but compare returns with risk.
• Sacrifice short-term profit, if necessary, to achieve long-term capital appreciation.
• Build the business based on honesty and integrity in order to enhance our reputation.
• Attract and retain high calibre individuals who will grow with us over the long term.
• Ensure our people think and act like owners in all their decisions.
• Maintain an open exchange of information and strategies with all constituencies.